Monday, March 9, 2009

Sarah, Plain and Tall

So as I mentioned a few posts back, Marietta's class was going to performed the play Sarah, Plain and Tall. Before the performance they each gathered whatever items they had at home that would be useful. Marietta needed an apron to go with her dress and so she got this great idea that mom was going to make her an apron. I decided that if she needed one so badly she could make it herself, which in turn meant even more work for me ... but we had fun.

Since it was a bit of a last minute idea, and since she insisted it had to be white, we dug around until we game up with a while blanket that they used for her dolls and off we went to cut and iron and pin and sew. Marietta was quite thrilled as she has been asking for some time to be allowed to use the sewing machine. Unfortunately she doesn't have the greatest teachers, as I have very little knowledge and most definitely no talent when it comes to sewing ... but needless to say we had fun together. We kept it simple and even managed to make three aprons, which she proudly brought to school so the other kids would have aprons as well. When all was said and done she asked if I had any other sewing work that she could do for me ... hmmm ... I'll have to think on that one.











I only managed to get one picture of Marietta facing me during the play. This could partly be due to the fact that I also recorded it on video since she so nicely begged me to record the whole thing. By the sounds of it the kids had a great time making the set and preparing for the play. They did a nice job, except for the fact that they were very hard to hear. Thankfully I read the book beforehand so I could follow what was going on, but otherwise I would have been lost. After the play I took a picture of Marietta in her outfit ... with her apron on. I think I'll have to add one of the aprons to her memory box ... I can still remember the first time I was allowed to use the sewing machine.

1 comment:

amymom24 said...

Aww, that's so sweet! Glad the play went well and that you were able to have fun sewing together even though it was last minute. I wouldn't know how to work a sewing machine if my life depended on it, so even though you say you have no talent, I'm impressed! That is NOT a skill I'll be able to teach my daughters.:)