Friday, December 31, 2010

Odds and Ends

This year a group of mom's organized a Summer Soccer Program for the students of the school. Our girls loved this program, especially Rebecca who is more sports minded then Marietta. While we are not very sports oriented, we do like our kids to partake in some fun sports and have an opportunity to learn the art of cooperation and playing together, as well as how to include everyone and have a good time.





















As mentioned in the previous post, Marietta had planted zucchini in her garden and we had zucchini coming out of our ears. Since zucchini is another good low-fructose food this is a good thing, but we still had far too much. Our freezer is loaded with zucchini and I tend to throw it in many different recipes now since it hides very well in foods and gives us the veggie nutrition we are lacking in our limited diet. Marietta spent many days sitting faithfully at the end of the driveway trying to sell her zucchini's, but finally gave up when she had no success. She had another bright idea ... selling zucchini bread and muffins at a garage sale ... that was sure to draw people in and then she'd be able to sell some stuff. So I told her that was fine, I had lots of things to create a garage sale, but she would have to man the sale and do the work. She was eager and went to baking and prepping.
Garage Sale #1 at our house - unsuccessful ... she sold nothing, and I sold close to nothing. What a waste of time.
Garage Sale #2 was a combined garage sale at a different location - pretty much unsuccessful for us. Marietta baked again and this time sold one zucchini loaf, and one muffin (and then ate lots between her and her friends). I sold one raisin bread loaf (I had just baked bread the day before and figured if it sold fine and if not yummy for us), we sold no other items and I took home again all the things I really wanted to get rid of.

I'm not sure what possessed me to try again for Garage Sale #3. I know I debated it for a bit and then thought that #3 would be the best attempt and if it failed I'd really and certainly be able to confirm that garage sales are a waste of time. Now if I started with Garage Sale #3 it wouldn't have been so bad because I wouldn't have been frustrated with the time I had previously wasted and would have just thought it as fun. Garage Sale #3 was a Community Garage Sale. I figured I was going to go anyways to have a look at everything, and since Marietta was so eager to try sell again we'd give it one more shot. Time was a bit limited so Marietta was not able to bake as much as she would like, but she learned that if she's going to do it again she's going to have to bake more. Her zucchini bread was gone in no time. I also baked some raisin bread which quickly disappeared. The regular homemade bread and muffins did not sell, which was fine as then I could just put them in the freezer. As for the other items .... none of my boys clothes sold, even with the price very low. Some of the girls clothes and other items did sell ... garage sales aren't really worth their effort, or I just have really bad luck!

It is when I want to sell things that I miss the city. I miss Kijiji where I sold off the clothes the kids outgrew to buy them new clothes. Where I sold many unused items in the house and had a decent pot of Kijiji cash. All cash made from the items I sold on Kijiji went into a pot and from that pot I could buy things off Kijiji. Moving to the country put an end to this as nobody wants to drive way out for clothes and small items. The last of my Kijiji pot was spent when we purchased our dog and doghouse. I still buy off Kijiji when I need things, since we are regularly in the city at least it is still possible to do that, but I no longer have a pot that I can get my money from.
So, some pictures from Garage Sale #3. Marietta also sold school chocolate bars at the garage sale, she did okay in t his area as well.























Snuggles with Daddy

















Matthew loved to crawl up on Daddy and snuggle/snooze with him this way when Rob was having a quick power-nap.

















On October 1st Rob turned 35 and I decided to try my hand at a surprise party. It was almost successful, until about the last hour when Rob became a bit suspicious as to why everyone was suddenly so interested in having a game of air hockey downstairs.

























Princess Vivian with her handy man hubby, Matthew the Builder :)






















OUCH!!! Another one of Muddy's faults (we're trying hard to find some good things about this dog but he's not making it easy). Muddy gets far to hyper and has absolutely no brains. In this case we will say it wasn't completely Muddy's fault since everyone was outside playing and he was included in the play, but again he's so jumpy and energetic that he just bowls things over and this time it was Matthew, from the top of the cement porch stairs down to the bottom, scraping his face along the way. Poor guy, it was sore and swollen and turn an abundance of colours, but it was also amazing how quickly it healed.





















The girls still like getting their hair done. This time Marietta managed to convince Rebecca to leave her hair in ringlets after I took the rollers out instead of having it in an updo. This is the morning picture

















And here she is at supper time ... the curls gained some length during the day, but stayed in nicely ... actually they stayed in very nicely for several days after that also ... I love those kind of hairdos!

















Matthew and Rebecca decided to have some fun one night and sleep in the tent. It being winter outside wasn't really an option and so they set it up in Matthew's room.
















Took a bit for Matthew to cooperate and actually go to sleep ... much to Rebecca's frustration as she didn't want to get sent back to her room but couldn't get Matthew to behave. But he finally settled down and they went off to sleep.
















And since I got a picture of them sleeping I figured I'd get one of Marietta also. She's always trying something new with her hair. She has been growing out her bangs the past year and here she is trying to see if curling them would make a new creative style ... it wasn't all to successful, but she's always trying new ideas.

















Well that pretty much catches me up to the beginning of November when I first started trying to get caught up but never got past the part of uploading the pictures. Now I have to have a peek through my November and December pictures and see if there was anything worthwhile during those months ... but that may just have to wait a few days ... we'll see how energetic I am ... right now I'm off for a nap so I can be alert and awake at midnight tonight seeing as I'm not feeling totally clear headed (head cold/congestion setting in, ears clogged and noises funny sounding). Matthew is also not feeling well (fevers). At least we made it almost all the way through the holidays being relatively healthy (Rebecca had the head congestion/ear thing last week and weekend).

No comments: