Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Don't Fall Mom"

Just a quick post to say that Matthew's cast came off this week. He only had to keep the small cast on for one week. Now we just wait to see if a "lefty" was created out of the process :) So far he continues to use his left hand, we'll see what happens once his arm strengthens up. (Due to the rivalry between lefty and righty in our house - I'm the only lefty - Rob has threatened to break his left hand just to make sure he remains right handed ;)

Matthew's fear of breaking his arm again is present in the fact that he continues to say most times when I carry him down the stairs "Don't fall mom!!" Yet, he does still want me to carry him, so I guess that's a good sign.

While at the doctors I inquired about how long a sprained thumb should take to get better seeing as my thumb seems at a standstill in the improvment area. The first days I did no special treatment to it since the ER Doc said I could continue to use it, but as it continue to get worse and worse I finally popped on the internet ... my handy backup doctor ... and did some research. After which I decided to splint the thumb for about 5 days to give it proper rest. I then slowly began to use it again and by the end of the second week it finally had stopped throbbing and aching so much. But that was the extent of the improvement, it continued to hurt quite a bit and be very restricted in it's use. The doc explained that there are three levels of sprains, usually taking 2, 4, or 6 weeks to get better. So I'm guessing I fall into the third level. He sent me off for an x-ray just to check it out, but since I haven't heard anything back I assume there's nothing out of ordinary and I just have to be patient.

So that's the only remaining result of our fall. Amazingly my neck and back were better quite quickly with no long term effects. This is extra amazing because of all the ongoing neck and shoulder problems that I have ... and sort of makes me wonder again (not like I really stopped wondering) as to the cause of this ongoing problem since logically something like this should have really had a much greater impact on that part of my body. I guess it just falls in with the normal "Wacko-Steph Syndrome" ... doing the exact opposite of what would medically be expected, having no logical explanation, not following what "the book" says. But whatever the case I remain extremely thankful that it didn't end up in anything more serious or longterm.

1 comment:

amymom24 said...

Glad you're OK, Steph! And yay for Matthew getting his cast off:) I'm sure you're not sorry to say goodbye to that chapter of his life.