Sunday, March 14, 2010

Clumsy Steph

I'm clumsy, I know, I'll admit it. Although I really must say that this time it wasn't really clumsiness ... just a plain accident. But sometimes you just get this sinking feeling that if you weren't so clumsy maybe these things wouldn't happen.

Rob decided to try and fix the doorbell yesterday. So he removed the doorbell cover and went to work. Then lunch time came and next thing he was off to run a few errands etc. The doorbell remained unfixed and the doorbell cover remained on the stairway floor. I have setup the stage ... can you guess where this is heading?

So Steph is on her way down the stairs with Matthew. Most of the time Matthew is lazy and wants to be carried, this time he wants to walk. I am a few steps down and he states he wants me to hold his hand. Okay, no problem, I can do that. The rest I'm not quite sure but I'm guessing that after I turned around to take his hand I took another step down ... at which point I stepped on something and felt myself losing my balance. I just remember thing "I'm not going to fall, don't fall, get your balance, not going to fall ... falling, going to fall, let go of Matthew, don't take Matthew with you". And there I went head first on my back down 8 stairs. Unfortunately Matthew did come with me, whether I didn't let go fast enough or whether he tried harder to hang on I don't know ... but Matthew came with, 12 stairs down ... and we ended up in in a heap at the bottom of the stairs.

I banged my head the whole way down, I remember that clearly. After I realize I was going to survive my concern was Matthew who of course was crying. We (friends were visiting) picked him up and I settled in a chair to have a look at him. His cry told me he was quite hurt or very shooken up. Usually I'm a person who has trouble deciding what to do when someone is injured for fear of overreacting ... but one look at his wrist and I knew we needed to have him checked out. It was only slightly swollen, but the way he was holding it and the angle it was at didn't look good.

We applied ice while I tried to gather myself and put things together. Although I knew (from our experience with Rebecca's broken collarbone) that they only had an x-ray technician on site at Dunnville Hospital until noon on the weekends we still decided to go there, figuring they could call a tech in if necessary. It would likely still be faster then travelling and waiting at Mac.

I don't remember what time I left, but it was the same as our visit with Rebecca. We didn't even have to sit down but went straight into a room, the nurse wasn't even done taking down the details and the doctor came in. Already having heard the nurse taking details he jumped right into checking out Matthew. Seeing as the x-ray technician on call lived 30km away and it would take a bit by time she arrived he decided to put a splint on and send him home, to come back for an x-ray in the morning. His theory was that if the wrist was broken they would treat it the same way - either with a splint or a half cast - so leaving it until the next morning would be fine. I got the impression from him that he didn't think it was broken but they just had to make sure. I was back home in less then an hour.


Our amazing little boy cried pretty much from when he got hurt until when he arrived to the hospital. He cried the whole way to the hospital, breaking my heart. I just wanted to stop and hold him but I knew that wouldn't help either. We get into the hospital and he stops crying. He interacts again and does good ... does he perhaps have some of the same blood as James?!?!? The swelling went down from the ice and he seems okay. I could see him flinching and blinking back tears as the doctor checking, but he didn't make a peep ... I must say I was very proud of him. He so reminded me of James.

I thought I'd be up with Matthew throughout the night, but he did wonderful. Waking for his usually "I peed so much I need my diaper, pjs and bed changed", completely cooperating during that time as I changed his clothes. When he awoke in the morning I found him in bed with his splint off. When I told him we had to put it back on he insisted "owee all gone". So I changed the phrase to ask him "where does it hurt?" To which he replied by pointing at his wrist. "Okay, then we need to put this back on" I told him. And he obliged.

We returned to the hospital again this morning at 9am. This time without the crying. He was quite chipper and happy to walk on his own and chatter and talk. He was completely amazing for his x-ray, much to the technicians surprise. After she took the first shot she said to me "I don't need to tell you he has an injury". Nope, I knew that, I could tell by the way he was holding his arm (we were becoming concerned that maybe something was wrong with his collarbone also). The technician explained that she needed him to hold his arm at another angle but she wasn't so sure he would cooperate ... but he did without so much as a flinch or complaint.


After a bit of waiting (as the doctor and nurses chattered at the desk and we listened to their conversation knowing that there wasn't anyone else in the place that needed to be attended to) ... the doc reviewed the x-ray and came to advise me that his wrist is broken in two spots - the two major bones in the wrist (or right above the actual wrist). The one break is clean, but the other is shift up or back or something like that. We would need to go to Welland Hospital and have an Orthopedic Surgeon sedate him and reset it.


He had already contacted his buddy in Welland who was expected to go into OR later in the morning, so if we hurried we could get this fixed before that. Off we went to Welland. After waiting for a bit (funny how the doc appeared right after I went back to admitting and asked if the doc was in OR) ... the surgeon seen Matthew. What the doctor in Dunnville failed to tell him was that Matthew had had breakfast. Breakfast means they would not do an anesthetic ... grrrr ... this after sitting in the waiting room for an hour telling Matthew he couldn't have anything to eat or drink. Now we have to return again tomorrow to have a cast put on. The worst part being that we have to wait until 3pm to have it done (but be there earlier just in case), and if OR is busy we'll have to wait longer yet ... but all that means no food after 8am. I haven't updated the blog for a long time on Matthew (I've been meaning to, really, just never seem to get around to it), but one big, wonderful, amazing change in Matthew is the fact that he loves to eat now (and he's a very happy fellow now too!)!! And when he's not eating he's drinking ... he drinks and drinks ... and pees and pees!! Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, it's going to be a long day).

At the same time, as awful as I feel that this happened, I remain thankful that it's not more serious and especially that there was no head injuries. Not to say my head wasn't sore last night, but given how often I have headaches I can handle an self-inflicted one. Today I am quite sore, espeically my neck and strangely my upper legs, with some lovely sore brusies on my butt/lower back area. As well I pulled a liagament in my thumb ... least the ER doctors figured that's what it is ... it's not broken anyways, but it sure hurt by this morning (funny I didn't really notice it hurt until bedtime last night). Guess we'll have a nice reminder for the next weeks of why it's not a good idea to leave things on the stairs.


Matthew's splint and icing the wrist. I couldn't figure out what he was babbling about this morning when he kept talking about beans and corn ... but when I got the "ice" out I realized what he was trying to say.



















Dunnville ER lacks the toys and entertainment to keep a child happy while waiting ... but that doesn't matter since you don't usually have to wait there. Welland ER on the other hand had a nice (haha) children's playarea ... check it out




















See all the lovely toys and entertainment there. Don't you love the provided seating!!!!!!! We we seen the nice empty playarea we just went and sat in the waiting room and I entertained everyone else by trying to keep Matthew distracted from asking for juice. But after I took Matthew to the bathroom to changed him I noticed the TV in the corner of the playarea ... anything to distract him from asking me for juice!! So we found Treehouse and spread our coats out and there he lay until we seen the doctor. I know to bring entertainment with for our likely long wait tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll have more photos as a follow-up in the next day or so.

3 comments:

Mrs. Bob said...

oh wow, what an experience! thanks be to the Lord that it wasn't much worse!
I hope you're feeling ok. Headaches can be so debilitating. Let us know if you need anything!

Lisa said...

Oh Steph, how awful! It must have been so terrible to be so aware of what was happening as you fell down the stairs- completely helpless to stop it! May you and Matthew recovery quickly and fully!

amymom24 said...

Oh no!! You must've felt to awful... and poor you! I hope you don't have lasting damage. So glad you didn't break anything. Hope you both get well soon and that today went well!